October 5, 2011
ELS Language Centers is excited to announce that a new Center will open on November 7, 2011, in Fredericksburg, Virginia, in partnership with the prestigious University of Mary Washington. UMW is a co-educational public institution with approximately 5,000 students. It is set on a 70 hectare beautiful, park-like, traditional campus and is located about one hour each way between the nation's capital, Washington DC and the state's capital, Richmond.
The ELS facility will be located in Eagle Village, owned and operated by the University of Mary Washington Foundation, and connected to the UMW campus by a pedestrian bridge over US Route 1. ELS offices, classrooms and lab will be on the third floor of Eagle Village, which features retail and restaurant spaces on the ground floor, with office spaces on the upper floors.
The University of Mary Washington accepts ELS Intensive Level 112 as fulfilling the English proficiency requirement for both undergraduate and graduate programs. Letters of Conditional Admission (CLA) based upon Level 112 are issued for all the undergraduate programs. These programs range from Fine Arts to Computer Science, Education, Political Science and Business Administration. CLAs are also available for the graduate Business Administration and Information Systems programs.
UMW is highly ranked in a number of US publications:
- U.S. News & World Report's "2010 America's Best Colleges" ranks UMW # 5 in public universities in the Universities - Master's (South) category, and 11th overall in the Universities - Master's (South) category.
- Forbes magazine rates UMW as the 13th best public college in its second annual listing of "America's Best Colleges" and ranks the university 58th overall in the magazine's list of "America's Best Values."
- The Peace Corps organization ranks UMW 5th in alumni, one of several acknowledgements of UMW students' global community consciousness and involvement.
- The Princeton Review 2010 edition of "The Best 371 [US] Colleges," profiles the University of Mary Washington.
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine named the university to its "100 Best Values in Public Colleges" for 2010.
- The Fiske Guide to Colleges named the University of Mary Washington a 2011 Fiske Guide "Best Buy." This prestigious award is based on four- or five-star academic ratings, inexpensive or moderate price category, and quality of student life on campus.
- Shine, a Reader's Digest magazine, listed UMW as a "Top Financial Find" in July 2009.
On-campus housing will be available for ELS students. All ELS students will have full access to UMW facilities such as the library, recreation facility, student center and so forth.
Watch for further news about this exciting November 2011 opening!