SRM University, SRM Nagar,
Basic Workshop Building, Room 302
Kancheepuram District, Tamil Nadu, INDIA
Tel: +91 44 4909 2277
ELS Center Hours: 8:00 to 5:00 PM Monday-Friday (closed on weekend and government holidays)
On the Campus of: SRM University
For more information on this institution's programs click here
ELS/Chennai is located on the Kattankulathur campus of the esteemed SRM University in Chennai, India. Chennai is considered to be the Gateway to South India, known for beautiful architecture and rich culture. Ranked as the #1 Private University, SRM's Kattankulathur campus is the hub of several reputable IT companies, research institutes, and higher education schools and offers many opportunities for personal and professional development.
The Key Advantages of Studying at SRM
Choosing which university to study at is one of the most important decisions of your life. Make the right choice and you will be on the fast track to career success.
Below are just a few of the reasons why SRM merits your consideration:
1. Strong academic reputation - SRM is ranked #1 by India Today (2013), is ranked #8 on a National level in Engineering and #8 in Medicine.
2. Choice - 10 Bachelor’s and 16 Graduate Programs are available for students pursuing Intensive English Programs through ELS at SRM.
3. Work experience - Benefit from SRM’s close links with industry to gain valuable work experience through internships and/or research projects.*
4. Employability - over 95% of SRM graduates are employed within six months of graduation with 46% finding full-time employment before they graduate.
5. International - Bachelor's degree students can study at reputable international universities or, if they prefer, transfer to one of SRM’s carefully selected partner institutions for the final two years of their degree.
6. Value for money - SRM offers an outstanding business education at a very cost-effective price.
7. Location - Live and study in Chennai, India known for its authentic cultural experience, favorable year-round climate and wonderful, traditional food.
*Internships are not available for all programs.
Chennai is the capital city of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu on the eastern coast of India. Chennai is India's fourth largest city and has a population of over eight million people. It is the biggest industrial and commercial center in South India, and a major cultural, economic and educational center as well. The area is known for its beautiful beaches, captivating South Indian Hindu temples, museums and other local attractions.
As the gateway to the south, Chennai has a distinct culture which is conveyed through dance, art, music, food and traditional clothing. There are festivals and seasonal celebrations, such as the Chennai Music Festival and the Margazhi Festival of Dance and Music.
Fun Things to See and Do in Chennai
The area offers many interesting attractions, including:
- Marina Beach: Chennai's most famous tourist attraction, Marina Beach is the longest beach in India, stretching on for 12 kilometers along the Bay of Bengal!
- Mahabalipurum: Marvel at the Stone Temples, five free-standing temples with ancient carvings dating date back to the Pallava dynasty of the seventh and eighth centuries. Don’t miss the beautiful Shore Temple on Mahabalipuram beach.
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park: Arignar Anna Zoological Park, also known as Vandular Zoo was created in 1855 and was the first zoo in India. This 602 hectare park is one of the biggest zoos in Southeast Asia.
- Theme Parks: There are several theme parks located near Chennai, which feature rides, water parks and entertainment, including VGP Universal Kingdom, Queens Land, VGP Golden Beach Resort.
- Shopping: Shopping is a part of the city’s culture and entertainment scene. There are several expansive malls, including Phoenix Mall, Express Avenue, and The Chennai City Centre. You can also find ample street shopping in Pondy Bazaar and Georgetown.
- Fort Saint George: The first British fort in India, at this historic citadel, you’ll find Saint Mary’s Church, a museum, and Wellesley House.
Programs available at this location
English for Academic Purposes
Begin your academic career with confidence. Achieve English language proficiency as you learn key English language skills and engage in practical, real-world conversations.
2015 Cost Per Session
|*ELS Chennai is currently offering a 25% scholarship at USD 750 per 4–week session for all bookings made before December 2015.|
|Number of levels||12 levels (101 - 112)|
|Number of weeks
for each level
|Maximum number of
students per class
|15 students – Structure and Speaking Practice, Language Studies, Reading and Writing Classes
20 students – Skills Enhancement Classes
SRM Green Pearl International Hostel
SRM Green Pearl International Hostel
Housing for students studying English for Academic Purposes program at SRM University Campus, Chennai is provided at the SRM Green Pearl International Hostel. Rooms are single or double occupancy with a shared common area/study room. A free shuttle service is available for transportation to and from the main campus.
Furnishings: A study desk and chair, bed with pillow and sheets, a wardrobe for personal items
Amenities: Wi-Fi, Drinking Water, Power Supply, Water Heater, A/C Dining Hall, A/C Study Hall, 24-hour Security, Laundry Services, Medical Care, Recreation, Gym, Indoor Games, Banking Facility, Stationery Shop
Shuttle service: Available from the hostel to campus (a 15 minute walk only)
Meal Plan: Included in housing Price - Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and evening snacks are provided 7 days a week. Vegetarian and halal non-vegetarian options are readily available. The campus also has an array of other dining facilities.
|Price per Session||$399 single, $570 double *Prices are inclusive of 14% service tax|
"Living on campus is one of the best things about SRM. I've made a good number of friends. We are all from different cultural backgrounds, so we are able to learn different things about each other's culture and share different foodstuffs and customs. We have unity and are developing teamwork, which has helped me in my studies. It's something new and I’m enjoying it."
– Rohit, India
SRM University Campus
Life on the SRM University campus
The SRM University Main 250 acre Campus (Kattankulathur) is 40 kms from Chennai city, and around 20 kms from Chennai Airport. The nearest Bus stop and Railway station is Potheri. The university is well connected by road, rail and air. The campus is well landscaped with ample greenery. The area comprises state-of-the art infrastructure and facilities, while sculptures and paintings dot the campus, serving as a source of inspiration and relaxation.
ELS students have full access to SRM’s library, recreation facilities, computer labs and other facilities.
- WiFi Campus
- A central library
- Computer labs
- Basketball courts
- Badminton courts
- Swimming pool
- SRM Hospital
- Student Counseling
- Dining halls
- Food courts (Subway, Café Coffee Day, North and South Indian specialties)
- Student Affairs Office
- Higginbotham's book store
- Airtel phone booths
- City Union Bank and ATMs
Meet the Staff
Stephanie has been working at ELS since April 2009, first as an instructor and then as an Academic Director at ELS New Haven. She began her ESL career as a Fulbright fellow in Temuco, Chile and finds great joy in education. Since beginning at ELS, she has earned her CELTA certificate in Istanbul, won the ELS Award for Excellence in Teaching, and completed her MA TESOL at Adelphi University. Her professional activities include several conference presentations and a publication in the Bilingual Research Journal. In her free time, Stephanie enjoys reading, dancing, trying new South Indian foods, and learning more about her new home, Chennai.
International Student Advisor
Deepa completed her Bachelors in Engineering in Computer Science from Anna University. She launched her career in the Talent Recruitment sector. As part of a Human Resources team, she had the opportunity to work alongside employees from different parts and cultures of India and is now looking forward to enhancing her knowledge in the International education sector. Outside of work, she enjoys watching movies as soon as they reach the theaters and listening to music.
2015 ELS Worldwide Brochure
What is Conditional Admission?
Institutions in the ELS University Conditional Admission Network offer conditional admission to students who are academically admissible based on the student’s academic record and other university and/or departmental and program requirements, but who have not yet demonstrated English proficiency. Your admission is “conditional” based upon satisfying English proficiency through completion of a specified level of the ELS English for Academic Purposes program and any other specific requirements prior to full admission. Once these requirements are fulfilled, you are able to fully matriculate. These requirements will be outlined on your Conditional Letter of Admission, and your selected ELS center will assist you in completing all of the necessary requirements for matriculation.
Additional matriculation requirements may include other required scores, for example, GMAT® or GRE® for graduate programs.
Our ELS University Partners will offer a Conditional Letter of Admission (CLA) detailing the additional requirements needed for matriculation. You and your family can be assured that you have a university placement and ELS registration prior to departing for India.
What is the Conditional Admission Process?
- Find a university via our University Finder
- Apply for university admission and enroll for English studies at ELS Language Centers with help from a local ELS authorized Counseling Agent.
- If you are an acceptable candidate for university admission, you receive a letter of "Conditional university admission subject to English proficiency and submission of any other required documentation for matriculation."
- Study at our ELS Centers in India to fulfill the university entrance requirement for English proficiency.
- Begin your university program!