The University of La Verne International Year One (IY1) program gives you the opportunity to study English while also earning academic credit that will go toward a bachelor’s degree at the University of La Verne.
The academic courses in the pathway program are designed to prepare you to succeed in a university setting. Our English courses will help you improve your communication and literacy skills alongside other international students, and our Introduction to College Life course will give you the confidence to settle into life at the University of La Verne.
How Does the International Year One Program Work?
The IY1 Program will allow you to study English to improve your language skills while also gaining credits at the University. In this model, you do not have to wait to start taking classes until you’ve met the language requirements. Instead, you can get started with your classes right away!
Below is a sample schedule in the IY1 Program:
- ESL 101 (6 credits)
- Quantitative Reasoning (4 credits)
- Fitness for Life (KINE 001) (2 credits)
- Optional: General Education: Creative Expression (4 credits)
Total possible credits earned: 12-16
- ESL 103 (4 credits)
Total possible credits earned: 4
- ESL 105 (6 credits)
- Community Service (CS 305) OR Fundamentals of Public Speaking (RCS 100) (2 credits)
- General Education: Social/Behavioral Science or Major Course (4 credits)
- General Education: Humanities or Major Course (4 credits)
Total possible credits earned: 16
By the end of year 1, students have the opportunity to earn 32-36 credits
*Students will be required to take a math placement test to determine the appropriate QR course.
Upon successful completion of the IY1 program and meeting any necessary progression requirements, you will be guaranteed to enter the second year of your undergraduate degree program at the University of La Verne.
With 55 undergraduate programs, 19 masters’ degrees, four doctorates and eight credential programs, students will find it easy to find a major at the University of La Verne.
Popular undergraduate majors for international students include:
- Computer Science/ Engineering
- Liberal Arts
- Earn academic credits starting from day one
- Access personalized academic advising and tutoring services
- Graduate in the same time as domestic students
- Live and study alongside American students on a safe, friendly college campus
Find Out More
Fill out the form below and one of our counseling experts will contact you and help guide you through the entire application and enrollment process.