About the program
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is recognized by more than 10,000 institutions in over 140 countries. Thousands of universities accept the IELTS as proof of English proficiency as an admissions requirement. IELTS tests all four language skills: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. The speaking test is a face-to-face interview with a certified examiner.
Who should take it?
Students intending to pursue their associate’s, bachelor’s, master's, or doctorate degree
International students who wish to pursue undergraduate or graduate study at an American college or university that requires IELTS test scores should take this test. Note that the student must attain a certain minimum score on the test in order to gain acceptance to the college or university. Students should check with the institution to find out what minimum score it requires on the IELTS.
For more information on the IELTS, visit IELTS.org. (The IELTS site performs best using Google Chrome.)
IELTS Prep Courses - USA
IELTS is designed to measure the language ability of test takers who want to work or study where English is the language of communication. IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English. IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment. It covers the four language skills – listening, reading, writing, and speaking. IELTS is recognized by universities and employers in many countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. It is also recognized by professional organizations, immigration authorities and other government agencies. IELTS Prep Courses offered at all U.S. center test locations. Click here to view all IELTS test locations in the United States.
Please refer to the IELTS USA online registration website to view available test dates. Centers fill up early so register online at www.ieltsusatest.org and send your supporting documents by e-mail to the test center as soon as you can. Payment of the US $245 Application Fee must be submitted using PayPal through the IELTS website.
We will confirm your test registration by e-mail using the e-mail address you provide on the IELTS online registration form. Please check your e-mail regularly.. The confirmation will include information about registration time, test location, and test booked.
Official IELTS Practice Materials:
The Official IELTS Practice Materials are recommended for anyone who wants to improve their IELTS band score or test if their English is at the required level to take IELTS.
There are now two volumes of Official IELTS Practice Materials: Volume 1 and Volume 2. Each Volume contains completely different practice materials. They will help you familiarize yourself with each of the tests. You can learn about how each of the tests is assessed and pick up some valuable tips.
The book contains:
- practice tests for Listening, Speaking, Academic Reading and Writing, General Training Reading and Writing
- Listening, Reading and Writing answer sheets
- Listening and Reading practice test answer keys and Listening audio transcripts
- sample candidate Writing responses and examiner comments
- sample candidate Speaking tests and examiner comments
The CD (Volume 1) or DVD (Volume 2) contains:
- Listening test for you to practice
- three examples of students taking the Speaking test
The main difference between the DVD and CD, is that there is film footage of the students taking the Speaking test on the DVD.
The fee for the IELTS Official Practice Material is $35 each, including shipping. Not all test centers sell these materials. Please inquire directly with the center to see if they carry them.
Top Tips for IELTS Academic and Top Tips for IELTS General Training:
Top Tips for IELTS Academic and Top Tips for IELTS General Training are published by Cambridge ESOL in collaboration with the British Council. Top Tips for IELTS provides you with:
- essential advice (‘tips’) for all four skill areas of the test – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
- clear examples and explanations
- general tips for each skill to help with revision
- sections on how to revise
- what to do on the day of the test
The Top Tips for IELTS series is written by the experts who set the IELTS test. Both Top Tips for IELTS Academic and Top Tips for IELTS General Training include a book and an interactive CD-ROM.
The book contains:
- clear examples and explanations to show you exactly what each tip means
- general tips for each test to help you as you revise
- sections on how to revise, and what to do on the day of the test
The interactive CD-ROM offers:
- a complete real IELTSTM practice test for you to try
- answer keys for Listening and Reading tests
- sample answers for the Writing test to compare with your own answers
- a Listening test so that you know what to expect when you take the exam
- a video of a candidate taking the IELTSTM Speaking test, so you have a clear idea of what you have to do when you take the test
Passports are required on test day. Be sure it is valid and it is the one you used when you registered for the test. You should also bring another form of ID with your picture on it. Your passport is the only official proof of identity that is accepted in the United States. Driver's licenses, student IDs and other picture IDs are used as secondary proof of identification only. You will only be allowed to bring water in a transparent bottle and your passport and reading glasses if required into the test room. No bags, cases, glasses cases, books, papers, cell phones, MP3 players, any other electronic item, pens, pencils, will be allowed in the testing room and will need to be put into secured storage during the test so it is best not to bring them with you at all. Pencils will be provided for you. Please dress comfortably. Once the written tests have begun in the morning, you will not be allowed to leave the testing rooms unattended. There are no breaks included in the testing times outlined below:
- 8:00 am – 8:15 am Report to the test location
- 8:15 am – 8:50 am Registration
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Listening, Reading and Writing sections
Speaking tests are 15 – 20 minutes long, are scheduled in the same order that the applications were received, and are held during the afternoon of the test day. Some centers will schedule Speaking tests on the afternoon just before the test day. Information about this will be included in your confirmation e-mail if this option is offered at your test center.
Test takers who arrive late to the test center after the testing session has begun will not be allowed to take the test that day, and will need to reapply for another test date and pay another test fee.
Requests for cancellations or change of test date must be made in writing and received at the test center 5 weeks before the scheduled test date. Cancellations made before the 5 week cut-off date will receive a partial refund of test fee (a $60 administration fee is retained for processing.) Cancellations or request for a different date made after the 5 week cut-off date are typically not eligible for refunds.
Test takers seeking cancellation or transfer within the five-week period prior to the test date can receive a refund or transfer without charge if they can provide evidence that their ability to take the test has been affected by serious illness or cause. A Test Day Refund/Transfer form must be completed and returned not more than five working days after the test date, with full supporting documentation, before refunds or transfers can be considered.
The Test Report Form (TRF) will be mailed to the test taker and the receiving organizations they have nominated on their application form 13 calendar days after the test date. Test Report Forms are valid for two years.
NOTE: TEST CENTERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE TEST RESULTS OVER THE PHONE, FAX OR E-MAIL TO EITHER THE TEST TAKER OR THE RECEIVING INSTITUTIONS.
Each test taker will automatically receive only one Test Report Form. A test taker may request up to five (5) additional Test Report Forms within one month of taking the IELTS test. More than five TRFs are available for a charge of $40.00 per TRF. These are mailed directly by the IELTS test center to the receiving institution(s) of your choice.
To request additional TRFs for receiving organizations (ROs) one month or more after taking the test, please e-mail the Administrator of the center where the test was taken to request an application for additional TRFs. Please note that test takers may not receive additional personal copies. Additional copies may be requested for receiving organizations only. The fee for these additional TRFs is $40.00 each. Mailing is by regular postal mail and no tracking information is available.
To preview your IELTS test result, click the link above and complete all fields.
The preview of your IELTS test result is usually available online 13 days after your test date. Please note that it may take 24-48 hours (1 -2 days) for the results to appear on the website. The results are rolled out gradually, so some results may appear sooner than others. Please wait 48 hours before contacting the Administrator about your online results. They will remain available for 28 days thereafter. Your official Test Report Form will be mailed to you 13 days after the test. Please note the preview of your IELTS result cannot be used as official confirmation of your test result.
Disclaimer: The online preview of your test result may not be used as an official score report. IELTS USA, the test center and the IELTS Partners give no guarantee as to the accuracy of the preview result, and will not accept any responsibility for an inaccurate score. IELTS USA, the test center and the IELTS Partners will not accept any responsibility in the event that your result fails to display, whether due to technical fault or administrative procedures.
Test takers who are not satisfied with their results may request to apply for a rescoring of the test (called Enquiry on Results) at the center where they took the test. This application must be made within six weeks of the test date. The test taker can choose which sections to be re-marked (one, two, three or all of Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking). There is a fee for this service of $120.00. If the score on any section that is re-marked is increased, there is a full refund. If there is no change in test scores, no refund is received.
IELTS Application Process
Please read the following information carefully for registration procedures and cancellation policies. Please note:
- Go to the IELTS USA online registration website in order to save your test seat.
- Each registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and does not guarantee a first choice of test date.
- If no seats are available for the first and second dates you have chosen, you will automatically be registered for the next test date.
- If you must test on a date not available at the center you have selected, please view the list of all ELS IELTS test centers above and check to see if another center has a seat on the date you require
Once the request for an IELTS test registration has been made, you will receive a confirmation e-mail stating the application has been received. A copy of this e-mail confirmation listing your online confirmation number, requested test date and center must be submitted to the test center with the required documentation listed below:
- A photocopy of your PASSPORT, valid at registration AND on test day A photocopy is required of the page(s) showing your name, photo, date of birth, signature and document expiry date, including any extension stamps.
- A copy of the acknowledgment email you received if you send documents by mail. If you send documents by scanned email attachment please write the reference number provided in the email in your responses to ELS.
Send documents within 5 working days to the center you wish to take the test. See list above to go view addresses for all ELS IELTS test center contact details.
You will receive a confirmation email when your registration is processed.
- Directions: Information on how to get to our test centers by public transportation or by car, are listed below.
- Arrival time: You must arrive at our center by 08:15 am at the latest on test day.
- Time of Speaking Test: Speaking tests are held on the same day as the written test, from 12:15 – 16:00 pm. Your Speaking test will last 20 minutes during this period. You need to be available until 16:00 pm on test day.
All ELS IELTS test centers hold the Speaking portion of the test on the SAME day as the written sections of the test (Saturday or Thursday) with the exceptions of:
- Manhattan (Center #US084) – some Speaking tests held the day before or the Monday following the written test
- Indianapolis (Center#US294) – All Speaking Tests held the day before the written test.
- Portland (Center#US092) – some Speaking tests held the day before or the Monday following the written test. Saturday Speaking Tests may run as late as 19:00.
- River Forest (Center #US083) – some Speaking tests held the day before or the Monday following the written test.
- Cleveland (Center #US291) – some Speaking tests held the day before or the Monday following the written test.
- Refund and cancellation: Test takers can ask for a test day cancellation or transfer up to five weeks before their test date and receive a refund of 75% (a $60 administrative fee is retained for processing). Test takers who want to cancel or transfer their test less than 5 weeks before their test date do not receive a refund. Failure to appear for the test or arriving late on test day are cancellations and no refund is issued.
- Changes Due to Personal Hardship: Test takres seeking cancellation or transfer within the 5-week period prior to the test date may be entitled to a refund if they can provide evidence that their ability to sit for the test has been affected by serious illness or cause:
- Serious Illness - hospital admission or serious injury
- Loss or Bereavement - death of a close family member
- Hardship/Trauma - victim of a crime, victim of a traffic accident
- Military Service
Test takers must file an application for refund or transfer no later than five (5) working days after the test date. You must complete a Request for Refund or Test Day Transfer Form and attach appropriate documentation and/or evidence (i.e., certification from a qualified medical practitioner, a death notice or certificate, or police report). Approved test takers will receive a partial refund of their test fees. A $60 administrative fee will be deducted from the refund.
All refunds, regardless of the method of payment, are paid by check and are mailed four to six weeks from the date of the request.
- How to collect results: Test results are mailed by USPS mail 13 calendar days after the test. Results can only be issued by regular mail or be given to the test taker in person at the test center where they took the test. Test takers who want to collect results in person must arrange with the test center before results day and need to bring the same passport that was used on test day. Test takers who wish to have another person pick up their results must arrange with the test center before results day. The other person must bring:
- An original letter from the test taker authorizing the pick-up.
- Their own valid passport to be used for identification purposes.
- A photocopy of the test taker’s passport (the same passport used on test day).
All ELS Language Centers are open Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time.
Boston Downtown, MA - off site for Center # US081
Tel: 1 (617) 244-4448
Fax: 1 (617) 244-2455
Charlotte, NC - IELTS Center #US292
Cincinnati, OH - IELTS Center #US507
Cleveland, OH - IELTS Center #US291
Cupertino, CA - IELTS Center #US086
DeKalb, IL - IELTS Center #US103
Grand Rapids, MI – IELTS Center #316
Houston, TX - IELTS Center #US080
Indianapolis, IN - IELTS Center #US294
La Verne, CA – off site testing for Center # US085
Tel: 310-576-0615 ext. 15
Melbourne, FL – off site testing for Center #US027
Nashville, TN - IELTS Center #US310
New York, NY - Center #US084
Tel: 212-431-9330 (ext. 17)
Oklahoma City, OK - IELTS Center #US312
Philadelphia, PA - IELTS Center #UX088
IELTS Administrator: Ari Wijayanto
Portland, OR - Center #US092
Tel: (503) 517-8229
Fax: (503) 280-8553
River Forest, IL - Center #US083
Tel: 1 (708) 488-5013
Fax: 1 (708) 488-5014
San Diego, CA – IELTS Center #US087
Santa Monica - Center #US085
Tel: 310-576-0615 ext. 15
Seattle - Center #US508
St. Louis, MO - IELTS Center #US293
St. Paul, MN - IELTS Center #US311
St Petersburg, FL - off site for Center #US027
Tampa, FL - Center #US027
Teaneck, NJ - Center #US505
IELTS Prep Courses - Canada
The ELS IELTS Preparation program will equip you with the English and test-taking skills needed to be successful on the IELTS exam. Your morning classes will be devoted to general English skills, and you will prepare for the exam itself in your afternoon classes. This course is designed for students in Levels 106 and above. This course is available at ELS Vancouver, Canada.
Request More Information
Submit the form below to request more information.