About the program
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is recognized by more than 10,000 institutions in over 140 countries. Thousands of universities accept the IELTS as proof of English proficiency as an admissions requirement. IELTS tests all four language skills: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. The speaking test is a face-to-face interview with a certified examiner.
Who should take it?
Students intending to pursue their associate’s, bachelor’s, master's, or doctorate degree
International students who wish to pursue undergraduate or graduate study at an American college or university that requires IELTS test scores should take this test. Note that the student must attain a certain minimum score on the test in order to gain acceptance to the college or university. Students should check with the institution to find out what minimum score it requires on the IELTS. Visit ielts.org/recognition for more information.
For more information on the IELTS, visit IELTS.org/usa. (The IELTS site performs best using Google Chrome.)
Please refer to the IELTS USA online registration website for information about how to register. Centers fill up quickly so register online at https://ieltsregistration.registration-ieltsusa.org/test-chooser/US and send your supporting documents by e-mail to the test center as soon as you can. Payment of the US $250 Application Fee must be submitted using Stripe through the IELTS IELTS USA online registration system.
We will confirm your test registration by e-mail using the e-mail address you provide on the IELTS online registration form. Please check your e-mail regularly.. The confirmation will include information about registration time, test location, and test booked.
Official IELTS Practice Materials:
The Official IELTS Practice Materials are recommended for anyone who wants to improve their IELTS band score or test if their English is at the required level to take IELTS.
There are now two volumes of Official IELTS Practice Materials: Volume 1 and Volume 2. Each Volume contains completely different practice materials. They will help you familiarize yourself with each of the tests. You can learn about how each of the tests is assessed and pick up some valuable tips.
The book contains:
- practice tests for Listening, Speaking, Academic Reading and Writing, General Training Reading and Writing
- Listening, Reading and Writing answer sheets
- Listening and Reading practice test answer keys and Listening audio transcripts
- sample candidate Writing responses and examiner comments
- sample candidate Speaking tests and examiner comments
The CD (Volume 1) or DVD (Volume 2) contains:
- Listening test for you to practice
- three examples of students taking the Speaking test
The main difference between the DVD and CD, is that there is film footage of the students taking the Speaking test on the DVD.
The fee for the IELTS Official Practice Material is $35 each, including shipping. Not all test centers sell these materials. Please inquire directly with the center to see if they carry them.
Top Tips for IELTS Academic and Top Tips for IELTS General Training:
Top Tips for IELTS Academic and Top Tips for IELTS General Training are published by Cambridge ESOL in collaboration with the British Council. Top Tips for IELTS provides you with:
- essential advice (‘tips’) for all four skill areas of the test – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
- clear examples and explanations
- general tips for each skill to help with revision
- sections on how to revise
- what to do on the day of the test
The Top Tips for IELTS series are written by the experts who set the IELTS test. Both Top Tips for IELTS Academic and Top Tips for IELTS General Training include a book and an interactive CD-ROM.
The book contains:
- clear examples and explanations to show you exactly what each tip means
- general tips for each test to help you as you revise
- sections on how to revise, and what to do on the day of the test
The interactive CD-ROM offers:
- a complete real IELTS practice test for you to try
- answer keys for Listening and Reading tests
- sample answers for the Writing test to compare with your own answers
- a Listening test so that you know what to expect when you take the exam
- a video of a candidate taking the IELTS Speaking test, so you have a clear idea of what you have to do when you take the test
Passports are required on test day. Be sure it is valid (unexpired) and it is the one you used when you registered for the test. You should also bring another form of ID with your picture on it. Your passport is the only official proof of identity that is accepted in the United States. Driver's licenses, student IDs and other picture IDs are used as secondary proof of identification only. You will only be allowed to bring water in a transparent bottle and your passport and reading glasses if required into the test room. No bags, cases, glasses cases, books, papers, cell phones, MP3 players, any other electronic item, pens or pencils, will be allowed in the testing room. All personal items will need to be put into secured storage during the test so we recommend you do not bring them with you at all. Pencils will be provided for you. Please dress comfortably. Once the written tests have begun in the morning, you will not be allowed to leave the testing rooms unattended. There are no breaks included in the testing times outlined below:
- 8:00 am – 8:15 am Report to the test location
- 8:15 am – 8:50 am Registration
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm Listening, Reading and Writing sections
Speaking tests are 15 – 20 minutes long, are scheduled in the same order that the applications were received and are held during the afternoon of the test day. Some centers will schedule Speaking tests on the afternoon just before the test day. Information about this will be included in your confirmation e-mail if this option is offered at your test center.
Test takers who arrive late to the test center after the testing session has begun will not be allowed to take the test that day, and will need to reapply for another test date and pay another test fee.
Requests to transfer/postpone or cancel your IELTS must be submitted in writing by email to the test center where you have registered. Transfer/postponement or cancellation requests made via telephone will NOT be accepted.
The IELTS USA cancellation and refund policy can be found at the bottom of the following webpage: https://ielts.org/usa/registration.
A printed copy of the IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) will be mailed to the test taker and the receiving organizations they have nominated on their application form 13 days after the test date. Test Report Forms are valid for two years.
NOTE: TEST CENTERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GIVE TEST RESULTS OVER THE PHONE, FAX OR E-MAIL TO EITHER THE TEST TAKER OR THE RECEIVING INSTITUTIONS.
Each test taker will receive one personal copy of their Test Report Form. A test taker may request up to five (5) additional Test Report Forms within one month of taking the test. More than five TRFs are available for a charge of $40.00 per TRF. These are mailed directly from the IELTS test center to the receiving organization(s) of your choice.
To request additional TRFs for receiving organizations one month or more after taking the test, please e-mail the Administrator of the center where the test was taken to request an application for additional TRFs. Please note that test takers may not receive additional personal copies. Additional copies may be requested for receiving organizations only. The fee for these additional TRFs is $40.00 each. Mailing is by regular postal mail and no tracking information is available.
Test takers can preview IELTS test results online 13 days after the test by logging into the IELTS USA online registration system test take account, click the link above and complete all fields.
Test takers who are not satisfied with their results may request to apply for a rescoring of the test (called Enquiry on Results) at the center where they took the test. This application must be made within six weeks of the test date. The test taker can choose which sections to be re-marked (one, two, three or all Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking). There is a fee for this service of $120.00. If the score on any section that is re-marked is increased, there is a full refund. If there is no change in test scores, no refund is received.
IELTS Application Process
Please read the following information carefully for registration procedures and cancellation policies. Please note:
- Go to the IELTS USA online registration system in order to save your test seat.
- Each registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and does not guarantee a first choice of test date.
- If you must test on a date not available at the center you have selected, please view the list of all ELS IELTS test centers above and check to see if another center has a seat on the date you require
Once you submit your online IELTS registration, you will receive an acknowledgment email stating the application has been received.
Please be sure to provide all required documentation to the test center (a photocopy of your PASSPORT, valid at registration AND on test day) within 5 working days to ensure the confirmation of your test registration. See the list below to view contact details for all ELS IELTS test centers in the United States.
After your test registration is processed and your payment has been received, a confirmation listing your online confirmation number, requested test date and center will be sent to you by email.
- Directions: Information on how to get to our test centers by public transportation or by car, are listed below.
- Arrival time: You must arrive at our center by 8:15 am at the latest on test day.
- Time of Speaking Test: Speaking tests are held on the same day as the written test, from 12:15 – 4:00 pm. Your Speaking test will last 20 minutes during this period. You need to be available until 4:00 pm on test day.
All ELS IELTS test centers hold the Speaking section of the test on the SAME day as the written sections of the test (Saturday or Thursday) with the exceptions of:
- Manhattan (Center #US084) – some Speaking tests held the day before or the Monday following the written test
- Cleveland (Center #US291) – some Speaking tests held the day before or the Monday following the written test.
- Refund and cancellation: For all refunds, cancellations and transfers, please visit ielts.org/usa/registration.
- How to collect results: Test results are mailed by USPS mail 13 days after the test. Results can only be issued by regular mail or be given to the test taker in person at the test center where they took the test. Test takers who want to collect results in person must arrange with the test center before results day and need to bring the same passport that was used on test day. Test takers who wish to have another person pick up their results must arrange with the test center before results day. The other person must bring:
- An original letter from the test taker authorizing the pick-up.
- Their own valid passport to be used for identification purposes.
- A photocopy of the test taker’s passport (the same passport used on test day).
All ELS Language Centers are open Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time.
Cincinnati, OH - IELTS Center #US507
Grand Rapids, MI – IELTS Center #316
Houston, TX - IELTS Center #US080
Melbourne, FL – off site testing for Center #US027
New York, NY - Center #US084
Tel: 212-431-9330 (ext. 17)
Philadelphia, PA - IELTS Center #UX088
IELTS Administrator: Ari Wijayanto
Tampa, FL - Center #US027
Request More Information
Submit the form below to request more information.