Need help?

Your application must be accompanied by certification that while you are attending ELS Language Centers, sufficient funds are available to meet your combined living and tuition expenses. If you will be accompanied by family members, their living expenses must be covered as part of their student-dependent (F-2) visas. Any one of the following is an acceptable form of certification:

  • A current personal bank statement or an original letter from your bank, in English.
  • Both a letter/affidavit of support from your parents or other source of support stating they will be responsible for your expenses during your stay at ELS Language Centers, and a bank statement (or bank letter) verifying their financial ability to meet your expenses.
  • A letter guaranteeing financial support from your employer, in English.
  • An original scholarship letter from your government or other organization, in English.

Since you will need to present financial documentation to the US Consular Officer when applying for a student visa, we suggest that you make sufficient copies of all financial documentation for both ELS Language Centers and for visa application purposes.

In order to apply to any ELS Language Centers' program, you will need to submit the following documents:

  • Completed and signed application form
  • Non-refundable application fee
  • Tuition prepayment
  • Financial certification documentation, in English
  • Copy of your current passport, showing your name and date of birth
  • Housing deposit (if ELS housing is required)
  • Airport pick-up fee (if requested)
  • Express mail fee (if requested)

When ELS Language Centers receives your completed application documents and deposits, your application will be processed within two business days. An acceptance packet, including your I-20, will be sent to you as part of this process. It normally takes about two to three weeks for your admissions packet to arrive. If you need to receive your package sooner, you can request Express Courier Service on the application form.

There is no set deadline for applying to study. The earlier you send in your completed application, the sooner ELS Language Centers Admissions Office can process your materials. This will give you more time to receive your welcome package which contains your Form I-20 (required for obtaining your student visa) and information about your arrival at ELS.

If you require housing, you should send your completed application to ELS at least 6 weeks before your arrival.

Housing in the student residences fills quickly. Reservations are processed for applicants who submit their requests along with their deposit in the order in which they are received.

If you are considering homestay accommodations, please apply as soon as possible so that we may place you with a family compatible with your requirements. (These requirements are taken from the housing section of your ELS application form.)

You will receive the details of your host family within 21 days of your scheduled program start date.

Your application processing fee as well as any deposits must be paid in $US dollars. You may pay fees and deposits by using the Credit Card Authorization Form in the ELS application form. If you prefer not to pay by credit card, ELS can also accept checks drawn on a U.S. bank, postal money orders, or cashier's checks. All of these must be made payable to ELS Language Centers.

Tuition may be paid using all of the above methods or by wire transfer of the funds.

All ELS centers have 13 convenient start dates per year for most programs. See the application for specific start dates and applicable centers.

Tuition costs are different for every ELS program. To view our tuition prices and other fees related to your studies, see the application.

According to U.S. immigration laws, you must enter the United States on a nonimmigrant, student (F-1) visa if you wish to study in our Intensive English and Semi-Intensive English language programs. ELS Language Centers is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.

To obtain an F-1 student visa, you will need to present to the U.S. Embassy or U.S. consulate certain documents to demonstrate your intent to study in the United States and, after completion of your studies, return to your home country. The documents you need include an I-20 obtained from ELS, proof of financial certification, a valid passport, and evidence of ties to your country. In addition, a personal interview with a visa officer will be required. We recommend that you make an appointment for your interview at least 60-120 days before the date you intend to begin your studies. More information on how to apply for a student visa, including the required visa application, is available on U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulate websites, a listing of which may be found at: http://www.usembassy.gov/.

Prospective and current F-1 visa students should visit Study in the States (https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students) to learn about the process and rules for studying in the United States as an international student.

When applying to most ELS Language Centers programs, you can indicate on your application that you need an I-20. You must also supply documentation with your application showing proof of financial responsibility. You must have enough available money to pay for one session's tuition, living expenses, and miscellaneous expenses.